Hampton College college students and alumni are calling for the resignation of their President, Dr. William R. Harvey.
A brand new petition on change.org reads:
It’s time for a change at Hampton College! Present President William R. Harvey has repeatedly failed those that he pledged to function the President of our Illustrious Hampton College. As a result of causes detailed under, we the present college students, alumni, dad and mom, and supporters of HU consider that it’s time for William R. Harvey to retire or resign.
We acknowledge that Hampton College has grown tremendously within the 42 years that William R. Harvey has served as President. He’s acknowledged because the longest-serving tenured HBCU President in historical past. Sadly, that is mirrored within the a number of outdated practices and “requirements” that have an effect on college students. Comparable to Hampton’s Enterprise Professional Apparel which discourages girls from carrying pants and flats. Additionally, the College Of Enterprise’ Management Software Program which prohibits college students from having loc’ed hairstyles. Forcing college students to both minimize their hair or drop out of the MBA program all collectively. As our world and neighborhood change quickly, we’d like a President that’s prepared and prepared to vary with it.
Discord between President Harvey and college students will not be new. The Each day Press paperwork a number of protests which have been held throughout Harvey’s reign. Matters of protest mentioned within the article embody:
- 1985-1986- Demanding College divestiture in South African firms throughout Apartheid and imprisonment of Nelson Mandela.
- 1991- President Harvey’s invitation to Republican President George H.W. Bush because the graduation speaker.
- 2003- The revelation of well being code violations within the cafeteria by The Script.
- 2005- Protests towards the George W. Bush Administration and it’s conflicts within the Center East.
- This resulted in half a dozen college students being punished and the American Civil Liberties Union turning into concerned.
As detailed by the Philly Tribune:
- 2018- The Hope for Hampton Protests which have been sparked by President Harvey and his administration ignoring and blatantly disrespecting college students and their considerations through the Hampton College City Corridor assembly. Considerations included lack of dorm security, Title IX violations, and cafeteria well being code violations.
Additional, President Harvey has repeatedly failed to handle points affecting college students or waited too lengthy to make an announcement. Most lately, Hampton College was one of many final schools in Virginia to announce the closure of campus amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. The delayed response led to many college students being displaced. Moreover, all on-campus residents have been unable to retrieve their private belongings from their dorms for 3 months.
Some of the troubling considerations of the scholar physique is the political affairs of President Harvey as detailed under:
- 1991- President Harvey invited Republican President George H.W Bush to talk at Hampton’s graduation; regardless of the objections of a whole bunch of scholars.
- 2005- a number of college students First Modification Rights of Speech and Meeting have been violated when The Harvey Administration disciplined them with neighborhood service after protesting towards George W. Bush.
- 2017- President Harvey controversially traveled to DC to satisfy with Donald Trump to debate the way forward for our HBCUs.
- 2019- President Harvey erected a statue of George H.W Bush on campus, with out consulting the scholar physique or alumni beforehand.
- 2020- President Harvey invited Mike Pence to go to Hampton’s Proton Remedy Institute.
- 2020- President Harvey participated in a cellphone name with Mike Pence and Betsy DeVos to make sure that Hampton College wouldn’t be held chargeable for any college students who might turn out to be sick with COVID-19 upon returning to campus for the autumn 2020 semester.
- Most lately, it was revealed that a number of eating places have donated hundreds of thousands to Trump’s re-election marketing campaign. Amongst these listed are Pizza Hut and Chick-Fil-A which have been each delivered to campus below Harvey’s administration.
With the tragic demise of George Floyd and Donald Trump’s subsequent responses, HBCU Leaders are being appeared to for hope and steering. Regardless of this, President Harvey has nonetheless but to make an announcement condemning the actions of The Trump Administration. We consider that everybody is entitled to their very own political views and affiliation. Nonetheless, there isn’t a room for a President with these conflicting affiliations on an HBCU campus. Because the saying goes, “Should you don’t stand for one thing, you’ll fall for something.”
The explanations said above solely symbolize a fraction of the problems below The Harvey Administration. Others embody continued Title IX violations, outdated dorm & tutorial services, and discriminatory insurance policies. For a lot too lengthy, our college has operated on the precept of preserving Hampton’s points out of the general public eye. We share this petition to garner the assist of our fellow classmates, alumni, households, and buddies. As soon as now we have gained sufficient signatures to replicate the bulk of the present scholar physique, a proper letter shall be despatched to the Hampton College administration and board of trustees. If our considerations should not acknowledged and addressed, Hampton College will proceed to see a gentle decline in admissions and donations. There may even be a rise in transfers and un-enrollment. It’s time for Hampton College to maneuver into a brand new period the place all of our #BlackLivesMatter and our voices are heard!
Lastly, if this petition is profitable, we the scholars and alumni demand transparency and an opportunity to be concerned in deciding on the brand new President of Hampton College. Eradicating the present President from workplace shall be fruitless if somebody that has already been groomed takes his place. If you’re a scholar or alumni of Hampton College, please e mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to share any constructive ideas on how the present administration ought to transfer ahead. Unfavourable emails is not going to be entertained. Thanks!
VIEW THE PETITION: here
There’s additionally a petition for the resignation of the Hampton College Director of Athletics, Eugene Marshall Jr. who launched an announcement saying “All Lives Matter.”
VIEW THE PETITION: here
— to hbcubuzz.com